Location: Brooklyn, NY
We’re creating a new way to modify living things. We’ve developed a breakthrough technology that allows us to rewire organisms’ whole genomes in real time, for any purpose. We plan to use this technology to tackle disease, hunger, and waste.
We’re an early stage company, and joining us now is an opportunity to become part of a small team of people pioneering an entirely new branch of science, technology, and industry, in order to solve some of the world’s toughest problems. A better way to make organisms better™.
Melonfrost is hiring an experienced scientist with a background in statistics, machine learning, optimization, or similar field, to head up the data science wing of our company. You will be responsible for designing and strengthening the algorithms used to steer the evolution of microbes in our Evolution Reactor™. You will be the first person in the world to use a machine that is unlike anything that has ever been built, collecting evolutionary data at an unprecedented scale, to modify organisms in a way that was once impossible.
More broadly, you will be part of a very small team of people building this company from the ground up, helping guide the future of Melonfrost, and the future of how this revolutionary tech will be used to make the world a better place. We expect you to be agile and adaptable as our company grows and stretches, ready to take on unpredictable challenges and opportunities. One minute you might be training predictive models in the cloud, and the next minute planning the company’s ten year strategy. If none of that scares you off, you should apply.
Working with technical co-founder to identify and design novel methodologies for controlling evolution.
Contributing to the overall scientific direction of the company.
Managing all algorithmic and analytical aspects of experiments conducted in the lab.
Contributing to the design of future iterations of the Evolution Reactor™
Working with scientific/technical team and clients to develop, communicate, and execute projects.
Managing Melonfrost’s data science related code repositories.
Again, this is an early stage start-up that is growing quickly, and we all need to be prepared to wear many hats.
- PhD, or equivalent practical experience, in a relevant technical field.
- A track record of generating new ideas or improving upon existing ideas in machine learning and/or optimization, such as those demonstrated by one or more publications or projects.
- PhD in machine learning, statistics or computer science.
- One or more first-author publications.
- A track record of generating new ideas or improving upon existing ideas in Reinforcement Learning, optimal control, or non-convex optimization, with a specific focus on efficient exploration.
- Post doctoral roles and/or experience managing/mentoring in a research environment.
- Experience creating high-performance implementations of machine learning/optimization algorithms.
- An interest in evolutionary biology and/or evolutionary game theory
- Grant writing
- Designing and implementing ML/Optimization algorithms in Python and related frameworks (e.g. Tensorflow/Pytorch)
- Deploying ML/Optimization algorithms in the cloud (e.g. in AWS/Google Cloud/Azure)
- Integrating ML/Optimization algorithms into real systems (e.g. robotics, IoT)
- Performing statistical analysis and forecasting on large multidimensional time series data
- Developing simulations for in silico testing of algorithms
- Deep theoretical understanding of Reinforcement Learning and Optimal Control
- Deep theoretical understanding of Non-Convex Optimization
- Writing mathematical proofs
- Ability to read papers and synthesize information across computer science, statistics, optimization, and related fields.
- Ingenuity in applying scientific theory to practical applications
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary and benefits package comparable to similar roles in a seed-stage startup.
How to apply
To apply, or for more information, please send your résumé/CV to email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer
We provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment and do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by law, including race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, and veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. We provide equal employment opportunities at all stages in the employment process, including hiring, recruitment, selection, compensation, benefits, promotion, demotion, layoff, termination and all other terms and conditions of employment. Further, all of our employees have a responsibility to treat others with dignity and respect at all times.
If you have a disability or special need that has not been mentioned and requires accommodation, please let us know.